Music Banter - View Single Post - from freak fighter to lamp lighter
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #492 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
In music unlike sociopolitical matters a state of disrepair is a fine place to visit. It’s only sound. Musical brutality doesn’t inconvenience you. Punk rock noise no waves turn to ripples and then like glass. Your roof isn’t really leaking nor do you really live in a palace. It’s best to homeless and free when the bugs don’t really bite and the sun doesn’t really burn.
Church. I don't know if this touches on what you're talking about, but I love old school metal, punk, and proto-punk more than the later stuff in general, not because it's better, but it's often a sound that's being explored with wonder and joy rather than a later artist with confidence built on the shoulders of giants and an idea to refine what previous artists have already done.

Take Suicide. Plenty of electronic artists have become far more sophisticated, but Suicide burned their bridges and went to square one, even if square one could never have reached the subtle heights of their descendants. But they arrived at a far more visceral and excited sound than so many of their followers simply because they didn't know what to do and that was amazing.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote