Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "We Be All Africans" by Idris Ackamoor and the Pyramids
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 06:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Some of the songs feel more like sketches than a full picture. The beginning to "Clarion Call" especially. It's going nowhere for most of the track. There's an incredibly basic sliver of an idea that isn't significantly built on. I guess that's what happens when you're just a little too proud of a single little riff.

Nice enough sound quality and the blend of instruments feels novel, but at the same time, some of the jamming feels pretty standard and loses me after a while. Real talk: The worst thing I can think of in music is drum solos. The second worst is aimless jamming.

"Traponga" is little bit of not a lot. I thought it was gonna really start doing something, but then it ended before it got going.

The few more fully realized tracks so far tend enough towards repetition that I suspect they're intended as dance tunes. They'd be fine for that, actually, but I'm getting fidgety trying to listen to this album on it's own.

The last track starts out with a pretty nice vibe going for it, but I'm also reminded how I'm not a massive fan of any of the singers on this album. It was worse in the opening track though - in which I felt like the vocals were constantly, slightly off-key.
Yeah, the last track is fine. I like it. The rest of the album doesn't do a whole lot for me. As an album, this doesn't feel like a substantial musical project, but a half-assed doodle.

8/10 for the last track.
4/10 for the rest of the album.

It's a "meh" from me.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote