Music Banter - View Single Post - Show Off Your Bookshelf
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 07:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Wow! that is some serious reading, MicShazam! David Foster Wallace seems to be a favourite of yours, and I've never heard of him! At least with Sontag I do better because I've read her novel The Volcano Lover a couple of times. It's a very interesting read; a historical novel, packed, as you may imagine, with ideas about life, art, etc.
I love reading essays about interesting topics and I want to read the thoughts of creative, smart people like Wallace and Sontag. The problem is that they sometimes operate at the limits of my intellectual capacity. Sometimes well over
Wallace's books on philosophy and math especially put my poor brain through the wringer. Progress is slow, but I'm patting myself on the back for having read well over a 100 pages of each... phew...
Still, despite this, Wallace and Sontag's essay collections are probably my favorite books so far.

Hitchen's can also be hard to read, but that's more because he's needlessly obtuse in his writing style, than due to his ideas being complex. I'm getting a bit tired of him, actually. Although his short book on cancer and mortality is very much worth reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
My living room bookcase: biogs on the top shelf, novels under. For some reason the image has got turned round, but I'm sure you get the idea:-
I see a lot of novels, the titles and/or authors of which I recognize, but I have read absolutely none of them! I don't know what is wrong with me, but try as I might, novels just aren't clicking with me. I don't own a single novel anymore, shameful as that is.

I've got plenty of comic books though
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote