Music Banter - View Single Post - Show Off Your Bookshelf
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ I've done my share of reading stuff that was difficult to digest, but these days I don't have much patience with authors that are too challenging. But yes, I also like the essay form; it's a sober, under-the-radar form that never gets much attention. I have to say, though, that my favourite essay collections are by journalists, not academics.
Sontag is difficult, but Wallace is all over the place. Many of his essays, like the one titled "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" (in which he goes on a cruise for Harper Magazine and writes about the experience), are light enough and downright funny. He can write both as an academic and as more of a journalist. He's also written several books of fiction, but I've read none of them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ I wouldn't worry about that MicShazam: you sound like my dad, who once justified not reading novels by saying, "Well, they're not real, are they?"
Today I probably read two non-fiction for each novel I read, although in the past novels absolutely dominated. My attitude used to be, "Non fiction = school text book, so I'm not reading it unless a teacher tells me to"!
I watch plenty of movies and my comics are fiction too, so I don't actually understand why I so strongly prefer non-fiction when it comes to books. So did your dad also not enjoy movies? ... Or comics?
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote