Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Bowie Classics: "Tonight"
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Listened to this album a lot today. Somehow, it seemed to grow on me in reverse with each listen. "Loving the Alien" is a great track, but things get really damn shaky after that wonderful introduction to the album. The title track is hot garbage and it's not the only track on the album to scrape the bottom of the Bowie barrel.

Not a lot of the instrumentation on this album is doing a lot for me. There's a fair amount of corny drum beats, dorky riffs, lame hooks and some pretty awfully applied horns. Basically, it's really hard for me to come up with nice things to say about any track after the first. Ouch.

Being a fan of Bowie back when this came out must have been rough. Like what the hell was he even thinking? It would have been like watching a slow motion car crash happening in front of you. Apparently the lead single, Tonight flopped big time, so Bowie must have been thinking that it was time to change gears. Or so you would have thought, but there's one more pop album after this one. Hopefully a better one.

This one is a 1 out of 5 to me.

_Previous ratings:__________________

(Rated on a scale relative to only Bowie's own discography, where 1 means the worst he's done and 5 means the best he's done.)
David Bowie: 1/5
Space Oddity: 2/5
The Man Who Sold The World 4/5
Hunky Dory 3/5
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust 3/5
Aladdin Sane 3/5
PinUps 2/5
Diamond Dogs 2/5
Young Americans 1/5
Station to Station 4/5
Low 5/5
Heroes 4/5
Lodger 3.5/5
Scary Monsters 3/5
Let's Dance 3/5
Tonight 1/5
Never Let Me Down
Black Tie White Noise
1. Outside
Earthling
Hours
Heathen
Reality
The Next Day
Blackstar

Last edited by MicShazam; 06-05-2018 at 11:36 AM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote