Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #487 (permalink)
Key

My Quick Thoughts on Battle Royale Games

It's pretty bizarre honestly to see a genre like this do so well for so long. I mean, I still remember when people were just finding out about Surviving DayZ and that caught nearly everybody's attention. The funny thing is, that game wasn't even really Battle Royale at all. It was more of a sandbox survival military simulator. But then we got mods like Arma 3 that changed that. Then of course after DayZ we had the arrival of H1Z1 which broke a lot of barriers in terms of what Battle Royale actually was. We got to experience first hand what it was like to battle against each other on a large map. However, the game quickly vanished and lost popularity once the devs decided to straight up ruin the game. It's not nearly the same as it used to be.

Moving onto PUBG, we now have the definitive version of what Battle Royale stands for. Long stressful matches against one another and the only way to win is the be patient and calm throughout the whole thing. Lemme tell ya, sometimes that isn't easy. As great of a game as this is, the only fault I found with it personally was that the matches go on for way too long. You could easily spend close to an hour and a half on one single match because some other guy is hiding and won't come out. Somewhat frustrating, but it made me realize that I don't like long drawn out matches.

So then we move onto the release of Fortnite, no the original Fortnite. The tower defense game. Remember that? Fortnite was never intended to be a Battle Royale game, but Epic Games saw to it that they wanted to make their own version of PUBG, and so they did. And on top of that, they've continuously put in a lot of work to make the game not only perform better, but look better as well. Also...SKINS.

Anyway, Fortnite has managed to keep its popularity at #1 pretty consistently. And honestly, I'm not entirely surprised. PUBG started falling backwards into obscurity once people realized that the devs really don't care that much for making the game actually better. Fortnite is just a fresh take on the genre with some added benefits thrown in here and there. Personally, I would honestly say that I prefer playing Fortnite over PUBG any day. I'm just in it for the fun of it and the quick matches. It's great.

I don't really know where Battle Royale can go from here, but I know every single developer is throwing in their take on it, and honestly, it's pretty fun to watch. Some of them do do things so differently that it makes it worth the purchase. Darwin Project is a perfect example of this. Instead of fighting each other, you also have a "God" player that can do whatever he wants to the players on the field. It's good stuff. And sometimes developers just straight up copy PUBG and the predecessors, but again...not entirely surprising given that developers obviously want to cash in when something is popular. It will be interesting to see how this genre either evolves or moves more into the obscurity scene.