Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #22967 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

For my money Johnny Rotten was hands down the best punk vocalist of all-time. He kinda sorta sings but all he really does is rant along with the tune of the song. I don't know how much I buy his assertion that the Sex Pistols were supposed to be the end of rock, but I think he was being truthful about his own performance style at least.

In fact I think the rest of the band being a noisy, but still somewhat traditional revision of rock and roll went well with him since there was a sort of balancing act between the two so that it never went too far in the direction of either melody or raw chaos while still having a foot in each. It could be downright magical.

I can't think of another vocalist before Rotten who sounded so direct and not like a performer, and very very very few since. Off the top of my head I can only think of Mark E. Smith as someone who really carried that idea forward to its next logical conclusion.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote