Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #517 (permalink)
Key

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

It honestly would not surprise me if I talked about this game more than any other game in this journal. Let's face it, those of us that have put our hours into the Knights of the Old Republic games understand not only that the games are fantastically well made, but they both have something special to offer. KOTOR being the first in the two games, I feel it's still worth talking about this game as if I've never talked about it before. Though I imagine you can probably expect to find more positive things to say about it than negative. Hell I'd be surprised if I really found any fault in this game.

The thing is, I love this game. I genuinely have a deep affection for this game. I think what it does, it does so well that it warranted a sequel to not only do those things better, but kept the original still breathing strong. I mean, holy ****, KOTOR came out in 2003, and it's still to this day bringing in new players to give the game a shot.

It's been quite a while since I've actually done a full playthrough of this game. In fact, Steam shows that the last time I played this game was back in 2011. 7 years later and I still not only have the game installed, but I have been itching to play it for quite some time. That may have to happen soon, that is if my catalog of games ever stops growing. One of these days I will come around to playing this one around. Hell, I just played KOTOR II not too long ago. Loved it as much as I always do.

Honestly, I think what really makes this game shine is just how much the devs really didn't care what people thought about what they were trying to do. Some people don't really like the combat style, which honestly I love. Some people didn't like the party system. Again, I loved it. And some people simply didn't like the fact that you couldn't be a Jedi right away. But honestly, the lead up to becoming a Jedi in this game is so worth it. You go through all the trials and tribulations of finding the pieces you need, and finally getting to that point where you get to choose the color of your path. I always love the moments of getting a lightsaber in these games, because they've somehow made the discovery of a lightsaber so...magical and always makes an impact on the player. That is until you have far too many lightsabers that you know what to do with. But the very first one you get will always be special to you. I remember one of my playthroughs, I found a silver crystal for my lightsaber, and I just ran around with that throughout the rest of the game. It was amazing.

Anyway, many many people love this game, and I as well. It really shouldn't surprise anybody that I still have this game installed. I have it still installed for almost the same reasons as Fallout 3. It's a game I'm eventually going to play through again, and it's a game I feel impacted me so much that uninstalling it would be sacrilege.