Music Banter - View Single Post - Should perma-banned members be given another chance?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #39 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
The point is to keep the forum structured and fair, not to stake arbitrary vendettas on those who get carried away. If people make an effort to change, why not give them one last chance after a year or so to mature, if the community still actively and vocally misses their participation?

Don't forget that Batlord was perma-banned, and technically the mods had plenty of examples of him breaking the rules. If everybody had just said "Eh, screw him, he's gone, nothing we can do about it," instead of complaining, he would have stayed gone.
People aren't just permabanned cos a mod had a bad day. They've been given multiple chances, often laughing at the leniency of the mods, often daring them to ban them. This kind of behaviour has been catalogued over and over again; JWB constantly dared mods to ban him, engaged in behaviour he knew would result in a ban, and even now keeps coming back like those clogs of hair you just can't get rid of from the shower plughole.

People who have exhibited this kind of behaviour, were they to get another chance, would in all likelihood do the same thing all over again. No, I can't see the future, but it's a pretty easy thing to extrapolate from their previous conduct here. Some people just like being pricks, and think they're untouchable. Some like pushing the boundaries. Those people have to be pushed back against, and it has to stick.

If you start un-banning permaban members, all you're going to do is encourage others to act in such a way, knowing that if they do get permabanned all they have to do is ask for another chance and they'll get it. Perma. The clue is in the name.

Not to mention that people here, mostly, were saying how good it is that there is less drama, less personal attacks and ****storms going on. Unban members like these and you'll have all that back again, mark my words. You also set a precedent. Who else will want to be unbanned if they hear of a new form of amnesty/leniency, and wouldn't such a move weaken the recent tough stance of the mod team against personal attacks?

Suck Sansa's dick all you want. If she's allowed back she'll go on immediate Ignore, so I don't really care all that much. But I fail to see what she would add to the forum in a positive way. I fail to see how she did that in the first place. JWB was fun, mostly, but even so, if you have no respect for the rules or for the mods, in my eyes, you got no business being here.