Music Banter - View Single Post - Should perma-banned members be given another chance?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #91 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
I'm not suggesting sockpuppets.

You said there has to be a line somewhere or there is no point (meaning the ban has to be permanent). Well the permaban would still stand but they'd be free to post on a new account, so they've lost their original account and have to start again from 0. What's the problem?
Seriously? I mean, seriously? If someone changes their name, does that change the person? Really? What difference would posting under a new account make, unless the person was prepared to change? I don't get it. It's not like everything you are goes with your original name. If I changed my name and posted under a new account I'd still be a boring, pontificating Irish ****.

Quote:
It would be easier to let them post again just to stop these discussions, then the mods can just pull the plug on them if they act up. Win win for the mods.

How is that a win/win? Mods now have, under this scheme, to watch carefully everything these "reinstated" members do. And what happens when they cause trouble again, if they do? Are they allowed warnings, temp bans like us all? Or the first time they step out of line, are they shot out of a cannon into the sun and perma-perma-perma-we-really-mean-it-this-time-permabanned again? And would any change of behaviour, if it occurred, have more to do with a fear of being banned again than someone actually wanting to change? Back to prisoners: is a guy out on parole going to behave because he wants to be a better person, or because he knows if he ****s up that he's going back inside?

Like I say, and believe what you want, this isn't about Sansa. I ****ing hate her and always will, but that's my business. But Ori is trying to set a precedent here for the future, so that anyone who gets permabanned from now on will know that, ah, it's not really permanent. I can make my case and they'll let me back in. Permabans, as I already said, aren't handed out lightly. You have to do a LOT for the mods to make that final move. And it should be final. You've had enough chances, and wasted them all, so, you know, **** you, is what I say.

I'd also like to point out that so far as I remember, the Batty permaban was all a big troll that Plankton was running, was it not? So he was never really banned, making that a bad example to use here.