Music Banter - View Single Post - The Music Banter Members' Journals Monthly Update Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 05:22 AM   #1158 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

For me it wasn't necessarily the fact that nobody was commenting that made me stop, cos I did get a fair few comments, though usually from the same people. Sure, I did feel at times like I was writing for myself, but again, not the issue. It was I think just the sheer volume of work I was making myself put in, that then would perhaps seem not be have been recognised, and the idea that I could be doing other things. Look at the various Metal Months: I put so much work, effort and creativity into them that I was really proud, yet most of it seemed to just pass people by, and that was disappointing.

But eventually I had to make the decision to settle down and really try getting my writing going (which I have) as well as just, well, being able to enjoy the forum instead of making it a nine-to-five, which was what it was becoming. Ever found yourself turning off the TV and saying "better get working on that article now"? Or "I have to review this album before Tuesday" or whatever? Yes, all self-inflicted and nobody's to blame but me, but in the end I was putting too much effort into it, making it a chore and all the while thinking of the other things I could be doing. Had I got tons of comments, people asking when is this or that review up, would I have continued? Maybe. But the real writing was always waiting there, and I had to make a choice.