Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Splendor and Misery" by Clipping
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Any sort of familiarity with this album/artist, or are both entirely new to you? None. I've heard vague mention of the artist, that's all
Expectations (if any): Given that it's hip-hop, and a Frownland pick, I would not be too optimistic
Initial impression: Like the instrumental, hate the rapid-fire vocal which reminds me of that song by Quantum Leap, “The Lone Ranger”. Mind you, “All Black” is ****ing excellent.
Favourite track(s): “Long Way Away”, “All Black”, “True Believer”, “Air 'Em Out”, “Break the Glass”, “Story 5”
Least favourite track(s): “Baby Don't Sleep”, “A Better Place”
Overall impression: Much better than expected. The kind of robotic rap is different (to me, anyway) and the rhythms and melodies are tight. Is that how you say it? Tight? Did I get it right?
Chances of listening to further material from this artist? Pretty damn high
Rating (not mandatory): 9/10
Comments: I'm enjoying this a whole lot more than I had expected, to be fair. It's really good. I'm not actually sure there's anything on this I don't like. Is “Story 5” based on some hymn or gospel song? Love the acapella vocal harmonies. The last two tracks I find a little weak, but sitll a cracking album. Big surprise. Maybe I should start trusting the F-Man more?

Nah, that ain't happenin'!