Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #537 (permalink)
Key

Super Meat Boy

I genuinely enjoy talking about this every chance I get because even based on rumors alone, people tend to find out how difficult this game truly is. Going from first hand experience, I can safely that the rumors are true, this game is ****ing difficult. Though, it'd be surprising if those were still rumors seeing as the game has been out for several years. Still, some people just simply may not know about Super Meat Boy, but for those that do, they get it.

I actually have never finished a full playthrough of this game because again, the game is really ****ing hard. Not only is it hard though, it's hard in the fairest way you can imagine. Every time you die, you feel like it was your own fault because everything from the enemies to the platforms are so perfectly placed that one mistep can be the different of avoiding the enemy to hitting them head on. I don't think I've ever seen one time in any playthrough of this game that the persons death was the games fault. It's never the games fault. That's the true genius.

Here's a GIF that can give you some insight as to how precise both the controls and the enemies are:

Then of course while the gameplay is all very tight and fun to play, the soundtrack is also a shining element. Every stage follows a certain theme of music, but it never gets old. Especially considering that your meant to play the levels as quick as possible. Each one has its own unique twist and allows for much more immersion in the levels. Which btw, level design wise, flawless. Each one is different in their own way making the game shine in terms of mechanics, but we've already gone over that. Here's a jam:

I always post this track because out of all the other tracks, this one feels the most intense, and for ****s sake this comes on in literally the 2nd world of the game. It just gets you pumped and wants you to succeed even though it's making it its own goal to take you down at every opportunity. Still fun though.

Now, boss fights. Yes, there are boss fights. And they are infinitely harder than any level you'll come across in this game. The boss fights in this game are basically using everything you've learned so far and taking them out. But that's not the end of it. You have to learn new things while also using what you've already learned just to take out the boss. It's exciting, it's excruciatingly difficult, and it's worth it every time you beat one.

This particular world is extremely difficult and I've never played it myself. But just look at the precision in the moves. That's what the whole game feels like all the time:

Anyway, that's Super Meat Boy. Play it if you feel like having a game kick your ass over and over again.