Music Banter - View Single Post - The personal story thread
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #32 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Yo Chula, don't forget to tell Neap about the blues jam you once did which ended up with you crawling into a gutter out of shame when you get a chance.
Got invited to an open mic bar once. You put your name on a list along with your instrument and every couple of songs they'd rotate the lineup. Me and another dude get called up to play guitar. 12 bar blues tune. He solos first. Super sweet phrasing and tone but at a snails pace. We're on opposite sides of the stage so I can't really see him too good.

My turn and I go all Gary Moore. Wasn't meaning to show him up but definitely wanted to display my chops.

Our time is up and the guy comes over to introduce himself. We give each other props and it's then I realize he only has 3 fingers on his fretting hand (thumb, index, and pinky). Where's that gutter when you need it?

I apologized profusely but he was really cool. He'd lost his middle and ring finger in an accident and had given up playing guitar for about 10 years. Then slowly started to get back into it and developed a new style with his limited digits. He was really good in a BB King kind of way. Great vibrato.

We got called back up later in the evening and I played my stuff not using my middle or ring finger. He kept laughing at me cause I was struggling, but we did an awesome extended call and response solo. Crowd loved it too when some realized what was going on.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote