Music Banter - View Single Post - Short Stories
Thread: Short Stories
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

^ I read your comment, rubber soul, and saw dreadnaught's photo of recent acquisitions and noticed something strange: in Britland, Kafka's short story never gets a "The". People might ask, "Have you read Metamorphosis?" because that's its published title in the UK.
__________________________________________________ __________

Something much lighter than Kafka are the stories by Trollheart's fellow countryman, William Trevor. This is not a list of his stories, it's a list of his books of stories, so multiply by about ten to get an idea of how many he wrote in his life:-

I haven't read the collection below, but the cover gives a clue to the world of William Trevor, in which old people, lonely secretaries, and other humdrum individuals are described with an exquisite affectionate charm as WT unveils their moments of passion or doubt. If the dated, the bittersweet, the melancholy appeal to you at all, you'll enjoy his stories. They always leave me with a warm, uplifted feeling because they re-affirm something that I believe irl; that the lives of unassuming people are just as valid, just as interesting, as the lives of the world's brash go-getters:-