Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do you like Country?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 06:46 AM   #411 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
^I'm gonna watch that sometime later, so I bookmarked it.

I used to watch music documentaries about all sorts of genres and artists - often things I weren't even musically interested in.
^ Yep, I often find that a documentary about a musician or genre is more interesting than the tedium of actually listening to their material. It's a point that someone made in this thread, which could really do with some repair. Links don't work and the OP deleted all his posts, so it has a kind of eerie ghost-thread feel:-

https://www.musicbanter.com/general-...t-films-5.html

Quote:
I've got this weird thing with country, where I like the idea of getting into it, but can't seem to find artists that I really connect with. Unless you count Neko Case, who is more alternative country, I guess. I really like Joan Baez and she feels kinda country at times, but still... this genre keeps slipping through my fingers.
^ Apart from knowing about Neko Case, this could be word-for-word my opinion about country music too, MicShazam! If you are willing, perhaps we could explore the genre together here ? It'd be fun to have a companion on the journey, especially as the destination itself might turn out to be a disappointment.

One starting point could be where country music blurs into the more appealing genre of rock. If so, Gram Parsons might be the guy to begin with:-

Spoiler for setlist of GP tribute album:
1. John Hiatt introduction (cut at start)
2. Return Of The Grevious Angel (Emmylou Harris & Ryan Adams)
3. High Fashion Queen (Steve Earle & Chris Hillman)
4. Dialogue-Emmylou & Hiatt
5. Hickory Wind (Gillian Welch & David Rawlings)
6. Hot Burrito #1 (The Mavericks)
7. Dialogue-Emmylou & Hiatt
8. Sin City (Earle, Welch & Rawlings)
9. Dialogue-Emmylou & Hiatt
10. 100 Years From Now (Wilco)
11. Dialogue-Emmylou, Hillman & Hiatt
12. Juanita-Sheryl Crow & Emmylou
13. Dialogue-Emmylou, Hillman & Hiatt
14. Wheels (Hillman & Jim Lauderdale)
15. Dialogue-Emmylou, Hillman & Hiatt
16. A Song For You (Whiskeytown)
17. In My Hour Of Darkness (Victoria Williams & All)