Music Banter - View Single Post - Rubber Soul's Bag of Garage Goodies
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 03:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

Default Deep in the heart of Texas

While garage rock was making its mark in other parts of the country, a demented new scene was rearing its head in a state known for big hats and big hair. Bands came from all over from Dallas and San Antonio and Austin. And while the sounds differed, one thing that had in common, was the music seemed to be from another planet.

The most conventional of these bands, was perhaps the most successful commercially, and the earliest on my list here. The Sir Douglas Quintet hailed out of San Antonio and was best known for their farfisa led beat. Frontman Doug Sahm would have a nice long career long after the Quintet faded into memory. She’s About a Mover (1965) was probably their biggest hit. They also later scored with Mendocino in 1969.

Spoiler for she's about a mover- sir douglas quintet:

Like the rest of the country, things really exploded in 1966. I guess I should mention the Thirteen Floor Elevators but let’s face it; they deserve a chapter to themselves. Meanwhile, there was Mouse and the Traps, from Tyler. Their popularity pretty much stayed within Texas but they became something of a legend when garage became recognized as its own genre.

Spoiler for maid of sugar maid of spice- mouse and the traps:

Another band that only had regional success were the Bad Seeds, out of Corpus Chrsti. Their raw sound made them one of the most sought after bands for garage rock collectors

Spoiler for bad seeds- a taste of the same:

Zachary Thaks also hailed from Corpus Christi. I think they were lo-fi before lo-fi was cool. They had some success opening for the Elevators and Jefferson Airplane (wiki). They sounded a bit amateurish with their fairly crude sound, but then again, that is the spirit of what is known as garage rock.

Spoiler for bad girl-zachary thaks:

The Texas sound went well into the Psychedelic era as bands like the Red Crayola (Hurricane Fighter Plane) and The Bubble Puppy (Hot Smoke and Sassafras), recorded as late as 1969. The Puppy scored a top twenty hit Hot Smoke and Sassafras. The Red Crayola recorded an psychedelic classic with their Parable of Arable Land album.

Spoiler for red crayola- hurricane fighter plane:

Spoiler for bubble puppy- hot smoke and sassafras:

We’ll end this chapter with two artists everyone is familiar with. Neither is known for doing anything like garage and one of them has already been panned here. Still, before ZZ Top, Bill Gibbons got his start with this band. This was an organ driven, blues inspired band out of Houston. They could be pretty demented too. Listen to their rendition of I Wanna Hold Your Hand from 1968.

Spoiler for moving sidewalks- i want to hold your hand:

And finally, there is Johnny Winter. Yeah, I know, what is a premier blues artist like Winter doing on here? Well, it turns out that Winter did some folk rock based material as well. It’s clear he was obviously influenced by the Byrds as noted in this late sixties gem.

Spoiler for johnny winter- birds can't row boats:

And that’s about it for Texas, except I forgot one group. Well, actually, I didn’t, but you’ll have to wait until the next installment for these guys. In the meantime, saddle up, or whatever they say in Texas (Hey, I’m from Maryland, what do I know?)

Last edited by rubber soul; 07-15-2018 at 04:18 AM.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote