Music Banter - View Single Post - Define "prog-lite"
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Yes, I think you were more active in the music threads here in an era that many of today's members didn't witness. When I was an MB newbie you were already a venerable expert - which is why I, like several others, was surprised to discover that you're still in your twenties.

Anyway, I don't know the Paul Horn album you mentioned, but I used to have a copy of his Cleopatra album which is perhaps similar. I suppose before the term New Age was invented, proto new age was bubbling up in various places: the quieter moments of prog, Paul Horn's soft jazz that you mention, electronica probably, and for me personally, this album by John Fahey, which at one time I used to listen to night after night to de-stress from my working day. It's still beautiful, still takes me to a special place:-

Fahey is also influential to the extent that that he and Wes Montgomery both pushed guitar into new musical territory, though Fahey is arguably the single biggest innovator.

Paul Horn recorded Inside in 1968 when he tagged along with The Beatles during their India excursion. I don't know if its the first New Age album, but a lot of people believe it is considering the unique elements of the recording environment and the soothing nature of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_(Paul_Horn_album)

I remember the good 'ol days when Trollheart, Comus, myself and Booboo were like the resident Prog Panel experts.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote