Music Banter - View Single Post - What Sucks About This Genre: Indie Rock Edition
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I guess what sucks about indie is it became a genre that's whole meaning is basically "rock that is not bombastic" which is pretty far from its original form where it was a label for punk bands that even shed the expectations of their scenes along with the major labels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Indie rock is pretty much any rock band that wasn't signed to a major label tho. That means even the likes of Marillion or The Residents or Frank Zappa could classify as "indie".
From a position of ignorance, what sucks for me is that Indie seems to be defined by what it isn't, not by what it is, so it's difficult to work out it's characteristic sound. Also, the term "Indie" suggests to me that you'll hear something way out of the mainstream, something unbridled, innovative and eccentric. In that respect, everything "indie" that I've heard so far has been a disappointment, and I'm beginning to suspect that "indie" is a euphemism for "second rate." ( Happy to be proven wrong on this btw. )