Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 04:32 PM   #6053 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

But holy **** is New American Gospel fantastic. The dry, brittle production isn't the best but it adds a visceral edge that most overproduced modern metal albums don't even know they're squandering and I'd suspect Lamb of God didn't either. Much is the shame.

The best part is that Lamb of God really do have an instinct for what will make your head bang, and while they'd form songs with these ideas in mind later on, here they weren't as accomplished songwriters but they had those headbanging ideas just as strongly and would form more rudimentary songs around one section, or a buildup to a section and that section, that would obliterate you without the need for a standard verse-chorus-verse-chorus song structure to justify something that didn't warrant that much craft, so that you could get in and get out with your balls destroyed but your mind still interested in what was coming next.

I think they were basically a band with one single thing that they could absolutely nail but tack on a bunch of songwriting **** for the sake of making them a more respectable band and it all fell apart and made them sound uninteresting. It's amazing that they had two albums in them tbh.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote