Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite album by year
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 03:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
ribbons
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Great list
Appreciate the kind comment, OH - thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
the artists I do know about surrounding the artists I don't makes me want to check them out
Hope you find something of interest. Just thought I'd post my unedited list here (this was really difficult and I'm bemoaning some of my choices):

1955 Ali Akbar Khan – Music of India: Morning & Evening Ragas, Mahalia Jackson – The World’s Greatest Gospel Singer
1956 Moondog – More Moondog, Charles Mingus – Pithecanthropus Erectus
1957 Little Richard – Here’s Little Richard!, Charles Mingus – The Clown
1958 Sun Ra – Jazz In Silhouette, Buddy Holly – Buddy Holly
1959 Ornette Coleman – The Shape of Jazz To Come, Howlin’ Wolf – Moanin’ in the Moonlight, Charles Mingus – Ah Um
1960 John Coltrane – Giant Steps, Cecil Taylor – The World of Cecil Taylor
1961 Ornette Coleman – Free Jazz: A Collective Improvisation, Yusef Lateef – Eastern Sounds
1962 Howlin’ Wolf – Howlin’ Wolf, Charles Mingus – Oh Yeah, Lightnin’ Hopkins – Mojo Hand
1963 Charles Mingus – The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady, Albert Ayler – My Name Is Albert Ayler
1964 Eric Dolphy – Out To Lunch!, Roland Kirk – I Talk With The Spirits, The Beatles – A Hard Day’s Night, The Ronettes – Presenting The Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica – Umm Kulthum – Inta Omri
1965 John Coltrane – A Love Supreme, Albert Ayler – Spiritual Unity, Roland Kirk – Rip, Rig & Panic, The Sonics – Here Are The Sonics!!!
1966 John Coltrane – Ascension, Cecil Taylor – Unit Structures, The Sonics – Boom
1967 The Velvet Underground & Nico – The Velvet Underground & Nico, Leonard Cohen – Songs Of Leonard Cohen, Captain Beefheart – Safe As Milk
1968 Silver Apples – Silver Apples, Albert Ayler – Love Cry, Joni Mitchell – Song To a Seagull, The United States of America – The United States of America
1969 Pharaoh Sanders – Karma, King Crimson – In the Court of the Crimson King, Miles Davis – In a Silent Way, Moondog – Moondog, Sun Ra – Atlantis, Don Cherry – Eternal Rhythm
1970 Alice Coltrane – Ptah the El Daoud, Miles Davis – Bitches Brew, The Stooges – Fun House
1971 Sly & The Family Stone – There’s a Riot Goin’ On, Can – Tago Mago, Pharaoh Sanders – Black Unity, John Coltrane – Sun Ship
1972 Curtis Mayfield – Super Fly, Miles Davis – On The Corner, Roxy Music – Roxy Music, Can – Ege Bamyasi, Marvin Gaye – Trouble Man, Fela Kuti – Rofoforo Fight
1973 Brian Eno – Here Come The Warm Jets, Roxy Music – For Your Pleasure, Fela Kuti – Gentleman, New York Dolls – New York Dolls, Can – Future Days
1974 Robert Wyatt – Rock Bottom, Joni Mitchell – Court and Spark, John Coltrane – Interstellar Space
1975 Brian Eno – Another Green World, Led Zeppelin – Physical Graffiti, Neu! – Neu! 75, Don Cherry – Don Cherry (Brown Rice)
1976 The Modern Lovers – The Modern Lovers, The Specials – The Specials, The Ramones – The Ramones
1977 Television – Marquee Moon, Sex Pistols – Never Mind The Bollocks, Here’s The Sex Pistols – Suicide – Suicide, David Bowie – Low, Ornette Coleman – Dancing In Your Head
1978 Pere Ubu – The Modern Dance, Pere Ubu – Dub Housing, Public Image Ltd – First Issue, Cecil Taylor – Cecil Taylor Unit
1979 Public Image Ltd – Metal Box, The Clash – London Calling, Henry Cow – Western Culture
1980 Talking Heads – Remain In Light, X – Los Angeles, The Pretenders – The Pretenders
1981 Brian Eno & David Byrne – My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts, King Sunny Adé - The Message, X – Wild Gift, Public Image Ltd – Flowers of Romance, Roscoe Mitchell – Snurdy McGurdy and Her Dancin’ Shoes
1982 Ornette Coleman – Of Human Feelings, Brian Eno – Ambient 4: On Land, Don Cherry & Latif Khan – Music / Sangam
1983 Virginia Astley – From Gardens Where We Feel Secure, Daniel Johnston – Hi, How Are You?, Tom Waits – Swordfishtrombones, R.E.M. – Murmur
1984 The Smiths – The Smiths, The Replacements – Let It Be, R.E.M. - Reckoning
1985 Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love, Tom Waits – Rain Dogs, The Smiths – Meat Is Murder
1986 The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead, Sonny Sharrock – Guitar
1987 The Smiths – Strangeways, Here We Come, Tom Waits – Frank’s Wild Years, The Go-Betweens – Tallulah
1988 My Bloody Valentine – Isn’t Anything, Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
1989 Public Image Ltd – 9, The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses
1990 Lou Reed & John Cale – Songs For Drella, Public Enemy – Fear of a Black Planet
1991 My Bloody Valentine – Loveless, Sonny Sharrock – Ask The Ages, Amy Denio – Birthing Chair Blues
1992 Morrissey – Your Arsenal
1993 Suede - Suede
1994 Latin Playboys – Latin Playboys
1995 Pulp – Different Class, John Coltrane – Stellar Regions
1996 Neutral Milk Hotel – On Avery Island, Chuck D – Autobiography of Mistachuck
1997 Robert Wyatt – Shleep
1998 Neutral Milk Hotel – In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Boards of Canada – Music Has the Right to Children
2000 Godspeed You! Black Emperor! – Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, PJ Harvey – Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea, Gas - Pop
2001 The Microphones – The Glow Pt. 2, Avalanches – Since I Left You
2002 Boards of Canada – Geogaddi
2003 The Books – The Lemon of Pink
2004 Arild Anderson/John Marshall/Vasillis Tsabropoulos – The Triangle, Brian Wilson – SMiLE
2005 Sleater-Kinney – The Woods
2006 J Dilla – Donuts, Midlake – The Trials of Van Occupanther
2007 Burial – Untrue
2008 Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes
2009 Bill Callahan – Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle
2010 Owen Pallett – Heartland
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote