Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #6161 (permalink)
Contrarian1
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I wish I had something like that but my grandparents threw away all their kids' collections away, as parents are wont to do. I've had to do all the legwork myself. Have you been keeping up on anything? What's your fav stuff?
I haven't been keeping up with anything current at all, I read mostly older stuff. For years me and my old man would go to comic shows and keep adding to the collection, since I've been married and I'm more accountable I cant really spend hundreds of dollars on a single comic any more so when it's father's day or Christmas I tend to get my dad an old Strange Tales or Tales of Suspense that he's missing as those are just as old but not nearly as expensive as a Spiderman #4 for example.

For myself, I love to mostly collect Gold Key and King comics from the silver age, like Flash Gordon, Doctor Solar, Turok Son of Stone as they are older (50's/60's) but very affordable to get in decent shape. I also collect some stuff like original Swamp Thing comics. Gold Key in particular have beautiful painted covers that I can't get enough of:

I love the history of comics, so I enjoy reading old newspaper dailies and weeklies of everything classic like Dick Tracy, Mickey Mouse and The Phantom.
The Phantom Sunday's are beautifully colored and I just love the retro art sytle:

however, the stories are often not very complex and sometimes cheesy, and there often isn't any character development. So it's hard to recommend to a current reader which older comics to start with unless you can appreciate art, history and even camp (Dialogue can be super corny)

I also like DC stuff like The Atom and Challenger's of the Unknown (early Kirby sci-fi). Other stuff, TMNT, recently Dredd. For Marvel I love Submariner , classic X-Men, and Incredible Hulk among others.

If I had to suggest an old school book to get into, I would suggest Mandrake the Magician dailies because of how interesting and fantastic Mandrake's powers were for the time (He was legit the original Doctor Strange). Again, don't look for complex story telling or character arcs.

But really I just LOVE comics and cartoons!
Contrarian1 is offline   Reply With Quote