Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 70's Punk Albums
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 01:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'm no learned composer but pretty sure everything is in 4:4

Pablo Picasso is comprised of one chord (plus solo in the same key)
And yet they do this while sounding odd no matter what time period you associate them with. If you told me this was a 90s album I'd totally buy it without any question and still be confused that a band could sound so idiosyncratic. If you told me this was a 2018 album I'd marvel that a band could channel decades past so brilliantly while still moving rock music forward.

By the time bands were making albums that souned anything like this it had become safe to sound like this because it happened organically, but the Modern Lovers just skipped all the reasonable musical evolution and did it at a time that to do so would require being ****ing weirdos to ignore everything they should have thought they should be doing at the time.

You can totally hear the Velvet Underground influence but even VU sound like a band of their time, just one who blows your mind that they could take those psychedelic and garage influences and do something so original with it. But the Modern Lovers sound like a band who unlocked the idea of "normal people" making a "normal sounding album" in an era of Led Zeppelin.

In a perfect world this album would have been released at the time it was recorded and destroyed the billboard with six singles that all went to #1. The Modern Lovers debut is simply the most timeless rock album of all-time and that is punk as ****.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote