Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "West End Coast" by Young Gun Silver Fox
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Andy Platts is from CA, and Shawn Lee if from London. So the album title reflects the connection where the duo comes from.
West End + West Coast = West End Coast

You Can Feel It The guitar on the first track reminded me of Ian Bairnson playing leads on a 12 string. And the electric piano gave it a real 70s sound.

Emilia The second song reminds me more of modern band like Inner Wave than an amalgamation of a bunch of 70s groups.

Better There is a slight "eeewww" that reminds if 10cc, but that only last a few brief seconds. There is a lot of other stuff going on in this song. The main vibe I get from this song is that they are trying to rework ABBA's I Saw It In The Mirror.

Distance Between Us the intro literally forces one to think of Baby Come Back by Player. The vibe quickly switches to Bens Fold Five when he sings "I know when things get heavy ..." but no sooner after that line they bust into their rendition of the Manhattans.

See Me Slumber The introduction to this song it provided to you by Fastball.

In My Pocket The introduction is reminiscent of China Girl because of the Far East motif. You can almost hear the note sing "Papa Don't Preach."

... tbc

So far I like most of it. I don't hate it, so I definitely do not think this album is a meh at all. You gotta be crazy if you vote dislike or hate - IHMO. However I will have to give the album more consideration to figure out where I stand, whether I like or love the album.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote