Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "West End Coast" by Young Gun Silver Fox
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Judie Tzuke's early to mid 80's period (as well as Joni Mitchell's) is very similar to what these guys do in regards to overall production and progression. Same general well of ideas. It takes a certain amount of laidbackness to enjoy the whole Californian / L.A. vibe but the craftsmanship and interplay is where the value is at. They're like one of Tarantino's imaginary dream-team bands come to life.
I can see a bit of similarity to the two first Tzuke albums, Welcome to the Cruise and Sportscar, but let's not pretend they're sound all that similar in the end. Tzuke's early albums personally remind me a bit more of Kate Bush's first couple albums in some ways.

Judie Tzuke's early albums feel very pop rock to me. Emphasis on pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I feel like they are re-gifting the 70s, so I am pretty apprehensive whether I could build a relationship with this record. I mean they are not referencing bands like ABBA and Player, they are down right stealing from them. "Building a relationship with this record?" It would be more like dating a kleptomaniac.
It did feel a bit like some sort of Frankenstein's monster, sewn together from various familiar acts and songs. I'm not sure if I think that's a sin, but it was a bit hard to feel like the album had all that much personality.

Just in the very sort of clean, measured delivery, the album even reminded me of Steely Dan. Not sure if anyone else can see what I mean.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote