Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #6380 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassoonPlatoon View Post
Oh. Perhaps there is some extension you can buy? Although the card reader thing is new to me, wonder why they felt such a thing was necessary?
The card is because all Sky's transmissions are encoded, so the card decodes them. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to charge you for a subscription. They're so encoded that, even if you manage to get the hard disk out and transfer the files of what you've recorded onto your PC, you can't watch them. It's simply unbreakable, so I'm told.

And I guess each card only works in a specific box to prevent you holding on to old boxes and giving them new life. When you replace or upgrade your box it's still yours, but it's useless as the card is deactivated from your account, so basically it's a big paperweight.
Quote:
1 Terabyte does seem like a lot, until it isn't though. You never know how much space you are truly going to need.
I guess the more you have the more you use. When I had the smaller box I would be more careful about what I recorded, but once you go into the terabytes you convince yourself there's loads of space. Until, as you say, there isn't.