Music Banter - View Single Post - MicShazam reviews his favorites
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Artist: Roxy Music
Album title: Flesh + Blood
Year: 1980
Album link: https://open.spotify.com/album/1qPdwK9Ew939DdtkACLMvD

This is the worst Roxy Music album by far. Or so people will tell you. Sure, it's pretty sleek and approachable. Quite poppy, not very art rock, and even sort of AOR at times. It's grown on me a lot over the years and my favorite songs on this album are some of my favorite Roxy Music songs overall. I'd say that some of the simpler radio rock songs like "The Midnight Hour", "Oh Yeah" and "Over You" make it easy to see why some fans would object to this album, but I just kind of like the overall vibe of this album at this point.

Of course, "Avalon", the album that comes after this, is even more sleek and soft, but that album seems a lot more well liked by people in general.. Perhaps because it has more of a unique and cohesive style to it. "Flesh + Blood", in comparison, is sort of a hodge podge (Same old Scene has disco elements ffs!), and on top of that, several of the songs are covers.

I think "Avalon" is a great album, but for me, it just doesn't have quite the highlights that "Flesh + Blood" does. Check out the hightlights I've selected below. Those pretty much make this album a classic in my eyes.

Highlights:
Same Old Scene
My Only Love
Rain Rain Rain
No Strange Delight
EDIT: Listening to the album again, I realize that Eight Miles High also belongs here.

Favorite rating: **/***

Last edited by MicShazam; 08-12-2018 at 12:47 PM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote