Music Banter - View Single Post - Forum Member Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 04:25 AM   #858 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
They tend to lose me at some point, or at least my attention span starts to wander. 45 minutes is generally my high point. Albums that restrict themselves to 30-35 minutes also tend to condense themselves to their best points without self-indulgent songs. It helps if they have less tracks. One of the things I love most about Deep Purple is that they have shorter albums that don't even have 8 songs. If you have 10+ tracks and an album over 50 minutes then maybe it's time to ask yourself if you're ignoring quality control. TBH MB artists don't seem to ask themselves that question often enough.
I don't necessarily mind long albums. I could even mention a few double disc albums that I think are very good. But some albums do feel a bit too long. Then I tend to "cut the tracklist in half" by listening to either the front half or the back half in one go.

I feel like contemporary pop albums are frequently too long, with track lists of 14+ songs more often than not.

As a general rule, them more intense and/or samey the songs are, the shorter the album should be.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote