Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #7343 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Sexy View Post
So you only listen to accusations of racism by white people? Oh wait you don't do that either. I'll bet you grew up with a golliwog and still can't sleep without him.
When do you think I grew up? The nineteen-****ing-thirties?? Golliwogs were well off the market by the time I was born. The only golliwog you'd see when I was small (other than on some TV show for kids, or possibly the Black-and-White Minstrel Show) was on a pot of marmalade! Anyway, I'm more of a teddy bear man myself.

To expand on and clarify my previous points, before Batty (no I will not call you 66Sexy: you'll always be Batty to me) comes in and says "oh so TH refuses to believe racism exists in his beloved football", I am the first to accept that sadly, out of all the sports, footy is probably the most racist. I remember black players going down to take a corner or a throw and having to endure monkey noises, bananas thrown onto the pitch and other racist slurs by the supporters of the other team. I know it's racist. They're trying to change it and it's a slow process, but comments from Wright don't help at all.

I don't know where you got the idea that I only listen to racism from white people, which is a bloody stupid but completely expected assumption from you. I would be as skeptical of the comment if Gary Lineker or Alan Shearer had said it. If Wright has evidence to support his claim, that's fine, but when he leads with "what else could it be but racism" that's frankly ridiculous, and ignores all the other reasons Sterling could be getting stick.

If you prevent any black person from being criticised for anything, for fear it will be seen as a racist attack, then you might as well forget it. Rapper whp happens to be **** can't get a record deal? Racist record companies. Black writer who can't write for **** and can't get published? Racist publishers. Black footballer who can't .... see where I'm going with this?

Racism is of course prevalent in football and it's abhorrent and sad that it is so, but not every black player who gets criticised can claim he's being racially targeted unless there's clear evidence to suggest this. Otherwise they're just whining babies hiding behind the race card and not prepared to accept their own failings and try to work on them.