Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Glam Rock type band/artist
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #49 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
(https://www.musicbanter.com/games-li...litz-game.html)

This Bump&Blitz is thanks to Neapolitan's suggestion, and it's an easy thread to read as almost every post is a one-liner. Voting, perhaps, is not so easy because Bowie is already winning, sequins down, by a huge margin. Where's the fun in voting for him?

I'm happily surprised to see a lot of people mention Hunky Dory because that's my fave DB album too,
Life on Mars is one of my all time favorite Bowie songs, and videos. I could put the song on repeat and lose myself in the song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
but just to vote for someone different, I'll prob go for T.Rex, who came up with one of the catchiest guitar licks ever:-

So I was watching this Rock doc and someone considered that Ride the White Swan marks the turning point from Tyrannosaurus Rex a Psychedelic Folk band to T. Rex, Glam band. The guitar has a Rockabilly feel to it. The playing same edge as James Burton's solo to Hello Mary Lou. I always imagine that Bolan borrowed from Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley (and whoever else he fancied) combine them and then made it into his own thing. Electric Warrior was a major influence on 90s alt Rock.

Favorite Glam Rock type band/artist?
There are so many great acts on that list it would be impossible to say which artist or band is better than the other, or which one is ultimately the best. So I think it was wise for the OP to phrase that way.

I would go with Mott The Hoople as my favorite with Mott as my favorite album by them. My other favorites would be T. Rex and David Bowie. Sweet had a lot of great material as well, love those guys as well.

The band didn't have much album success but I heard they were a great live band. They started as a typical Rock band with no chart luck, and Bowie help them out by giving them the song "All the Young Dudes" which help revive the band. I really like Ian Hunter's raspy voice, it's like he's been sing in a smoky bar all night. They always had a great guitar players: Mick Ralphs, Ariel Bender and Mick Ronson.

Mick Ralphs (who later went on to joined Box Burrell and two members of Free, Paul Rodgers and Simon Kirke to form Bad Company)

Mott the Hoople - Honaloochie Boogie 1973

Ariel Bender (the alias of Luther Grosvenor who was the guitar player in Spooky Tooth)

Mott The Hoople All The Way From Memphis upgrade Live Video 1973 YouTube

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote