Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #21957 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthefacts View Post
One of the best films this decade. Aside from Inside LLewyn Davis, this is Oscar Isaac's best performance. I always appreciated that he was just a guy trying to play it straight laced while everyone around him was corrupt as fuck. The marketing for the film played it off as Isaac being some brooding mafia guy when in reality that wasn't the case.

The blood mixing with the oil in the end is pretty telling stuff.
I definitely wouldn't go that far. I thought that he did well with the role but it came off as a bit stale at points. I give the film a 3.5/5 because I think it didn't reach its full potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I liked A Most Violent year a lot in some ways, but I remember feeling pretty let down. I'm not sure why, but I felt like it didn't quite make it to the finish line without losing something along the way.

There were some really good scenes.
Spoiler for .:
When Julian came out with the gun I was like **** he's just gonna shoot him as deus ex machina, but the way the scene unfolded was brilliant and probably the high point of the film. Then they had to spoil it by lazily tying off the legal plot point with a corrupt DA ****. Didn't exactly come out of nowhere but it felt a bit tacked on.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote