Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #7455 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Imo MLS definitely needs salary caps to ensure some degree of parity in the league. Americans are surprisingly content with MLS being a stepping stone to European leagues. If we tried to recruit the highest tier they’d all end up in the communities with the most Hispanics and after a few non-competitive seasons the rest of the country would lose interest. I know the USA has reputation for being obsessed with superlatives like “greatest” but as sports fans we’re surprising sophisticated (besides batlord). For example, very few college football players make the NFL but attendance at college football games still blow the NFL away. We’re never going to out premier the premier league(s) in Europe and making that the objective would be a recipe for disappointment. I follow football players from college to the nfl and often know their entire career. Hopefully, MLS will groom players for big time play in Europe and then when we watch big league soccer from Europe it’ll be more meaningful because we’ll know the players that came up through the ranks in MLS.
Great post Hawk mate. Obviously you want some parity but I don't think salary caps would result in a Scottish or German style monopolisation of the league. Plus surely fans want to see their teams and the league get stronger. Why would you want Kaka at 36 instead of 26?

In time I think you could tempt South Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Good post mate.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote