Music Banter - View Single Post - Forum Member Showcase
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #3767 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Even though Kiii doesn't care, I still listened to his album.

Cats With Hats - Grey

https://catswithhats.bandcamp.com/album/grey

I'm just not the guy to ask about drone, noise or ambient recs. I don't ever listen to this stuff, except specifically to try and check out something new. This album mostly falls somewhere in those genres, but there are moments where we might have a piano melody or otherwise some more defined musical shapes.

I feel like "Night Walk" is a very well done atmospheric track that pretty much perfectly fits it's title.

"Secret Number" worked more for it's melodies and the mood they create, less for the noise layerings and manipulations that obscure the atmosphere more than help it. I didn't feel like this track managed to combine the two approaches so well.

I feel like the methods by which this music is made to sound grimey and noisy could be deepened and expanded. Seems like a certain oscillation type effect was used quite a bit to give things a chopped up feel. I'm no expert on music like this - quite the contrary - but my gut feeling is that the sonic textures could stand to be a lot more varied and to change more often and more subtly over time.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote