Music Banter - View Single Post - The Random Album Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

I don't have RYM, so I'm using this random album generator: https://www.randomlists.com/random-albums?qty=1

^^ Can't speak to its album depth or genre variations.

----

Hayley Kiyoko - Expectations
Spoiler for Album Cover:

Genre: Snyth-pop
Year: 2018
General Pace: slow/chill

The Skinny: Kiyoko is an actress and musician who has put out a few EPs, but this is her first full-length album. In looking over her bio, all I recognize is The Vampire Diaries and the crime-show spinoff CSI: Cyber.

Best Song: "What I Need." Mall-happy and/or clothing-shop-in-a-department-store-so-that-you-buy-more-shirts banger that has shades of Ariana Grande.
Worst Song: "Mercy / Gatekeeper." I was actually able to predict the lyrics at one point and the rest of it was all over the place.
Most Varied/Interesting Song: "Molecules." Much more my style. Nice balance between vocals and instrumental, and the beat is catchy.

Summation: I'm not a synth-popaholic or anything, but I loves me some electro beats + female vocals, so I was interested in checking out this album. The album cover is boss -- photo-realistic mixed with art or was filtered to look that way, I can't really tell which is which, in a good way. While Expectations does contain content and themes of struggle that are personal to Kiyoko, I was hoping that the music itself would be a bit darker, more ambiguous, or edgy, I suppose, based on the album cover, although that's probably my own biases working themselves in. Overall, the pace is simply too slow for me. Lyrically, it's super basic. While I won't revisit Expectations, my takeaway is that Kiyoko is making music because she wants to, so I can respect the artistic work ethic.

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote