Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 04:09 AM   #21972 (permalink)
Lilja
Music Addict

American Animals was surprisingly good. It is about four college students that attempted to steal some books from the special colllections area of a college library including a book of Audobon originals and a first edition Darwin in the early 2000's in order to sell them on the black market . Supposedly it is based upon an actual event and the people who supposedly carried it out are interviewed during the film. A good heist movie but I question a bit of it. Maybe because I used to work in the Special Collections dept. at my University's library but I don't see how one librarian was essentially the main security for these items (besides of course, the scattered motion detectors). Something like these items probably would never be available to the main public to even get close to. At my library we had everything from Babylonian tablets to original Brontë's that were so locked away that you had to go through multiple secure, temperature controlled rooms to even get close.

Honestly, I was the person who used to research auction houses, go into the ordinary stacks (the main library), and retrieve the books to shelve them in Special Collections. I found books worth thousands of USD just sitting there in the main library. Anyone could have checked them out. These guys should have just focused on finding those..they probably would have gotten away with it. But, it is a heist film and those kind of films rarely are made about people trying to take twenty-thirty thousand USD worth of books.

Last edited by Lilja; 08-25-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote