Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #592 (permalink)
Key

The Start of Something Great [Pt. 1]

As I'm continuing to go through lists of games to put up for discussion, I'm realizing that there were a ton of games that launched an entire series of games that we know and love today. While I'll still be talking about some in the coming weeks, I figure as I'm doing this I can talk about other ones too. This is separate from the Honorable Mentions portion because this will specifically be talking about the games that started a great series.

So let's of course start off with:

Pokemon

I'm of course going to be talking about specific Pokemon games this month, but I want to talk a bit more vague at the moment. I can't think of many other video game franchises that have done as well and as consistently well as the Pokemon franchise has. Though, don't take that too literally. I'm talking more specifically the handheld side of gaming. The entire series of Pokemon games definitely dominated the handheld gaming scene. Hell, I'm sure it's what kept it alive for all these years. Don't get me wrong though, Animal Crossing is great. I just think Pokemon definitely delivered more, and more often.

Grand Theft Auto

Believe it or not, I didn't play a single Grand Theft Auto game until San Andreas. Even so, I haven't actually played through GTA V myself yet. I haven't had the time or motivation to start another massive world. Plus, too many games on the backlog right now. However, I give the series a lot of credit for going the route that the Mortal Kombat guys did. They made something a bit different and dare I say, ballsy, and it definitely worked. I'm excited to see what the next installment of the GTA franchise is going to be. I mean, GTA V is going to be a tough one to beat but I imagine if anybody can do it, Rockstar can.

The Legend of Zelda

I know, I know. The series of Zelda games actually started in 1986, but I'm making an exception here since not only am I humongous Zelda fan, I've definitely enjoyed as many Zelda games as I could have growing up. While I didn't play a whole lot of the later games other than Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild. I did play a couple of the handheld games as well, and I've mentioned this many times, but it's very rare for me to say that I hate a Zelda game. They're all very unique and fun in their own ways. And for it to start off back in 1986 and to evolve into what it is today, well, I imagine you can forgive my exception here. I don't know how much I'll be talking about The Legend of Zelda this month. It may be a lot, it may not be. But I figure I'd mention it now here just in case. But yeah, quite a start to a fantastic series if I've ever seen one.