Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst band on earth?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2004, 02:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
jibber
Freeskier

Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...

^^ wow, I don't think there's a single comment on this board that I disagree more with. ok this reply is gonna be long so bear with me.

when the beatles came out, they revolutionized music. before their time, we had what, sinatra as the big music icon of the period. so think of what they had to work with in terms of inflences and inspiration. nothing in the time period in which they broke out on to the scene was even close to what they were doing. now on to the "wussy lyrics" comment, which shows nothing more than the fact that you simply don't understand te majority of their lyrics. they dealt with major issues in their lyrics, hypocricy within the british monarchy and the church and its role in the state for example, in elenoar rigby. surprised? if you'd listened to the lyrics and understood the times and the circumstances in which they were written, you wouldn't be. I don't have time to explain and analyize all of their lyrics for you, but I'd suggest having another listen, and actually try to break beneath the surface of what the meaning seems to be. back to the "too mellow" comment, you can't compare their music to the types of music we have now, it's a completely different time period, it just doesn't work. they completely broke the mold when they came out, and anyone who says that they weren't talented musicians really don't know what they're talking about. look at the music ringo plays, anyone who plays drums will tell you it's difficult, plus singing at the same time. same with george harrison. ok, i think I'm done for now, I could go on if you need further convincing, believe me, I have plenty more arguments where those came from.
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER