Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #611 (permalink)
Key

Design Choices For Controllers and Consoles [pt.1]

I'm talking a lot about video games in here but I keep forgetting to talk about something that I've actually been wanting to talk about in depth for a while. Never really had the opportunity but I figured I'm in a creative mood, and I want to write something for this journal tonight, so here we go.

And alright, fine, ya got me. I am definitely listening to the Super Mario 64 remix album by The Greatest Bits.

Anyway, honestly when it comes to designing game consoles, Nintendo has always had a pretty interesting twist. Sometimes not for the better. Let's talk here for a second about perhaps one of the most bizarre and just...out of place controller designs possibly ever made:

I mean let's be honest, you knew this one was coming. Yes, the controller for the Nintendo 64 was by far one of the worst controllers I've ever used. Sure, some games were really well optimized with it, but if you remember, having to use your thumb with that joystick for several hours on end tends to really **** up your thumbs. There's nothing comfortable about the joystick. It's just straight plastic. But god damn do I love it just as much. Just reminds me of a time where gaming was really taking off and I got to be a part of it. But yeah, still a ****ty design.

However, one of my favorite console designs also happens to be by Nintendo. No it's not the Switch. No it's not the Wii U. No...it's not the Wii. I mean c'mon really? It's of course going to:

Yes, the Nintendo Gamecube. I ****ing love this console. It has easily one of my favorite controller designs ever. The buttons and everything on a Gamecube controller feel so good to use. The fact that it just sits comfortably in your hand is just wonderful and definitely a step up from the previously mentioned. But yeah, just overall I really love the design of the Nintendo Gamecube. It's like Nintendo thought to go back to a more normal style console but still make it different enough. It had those badass small CD's for games and stuff as well. It is of course obvious that the reason I love this console is because I love Wind Waker so much. But again, that's obvious.