Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #55313 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I don't think that's any better. You'd be more successful by standardized parameters, but you'd be ****ed in the head from the abuse and carry some of that bad stuff on with you. I can't imagine abuse actually being for the better. Even someone who was beaten and learned to "pull himself together" would be pulling himself together in a really neurotic, damaged kind of way. If abuse could breed successful people, it would be stern, buttoned up successful people who are incomplete on the inside.

You've got a lot of self-insight and you're able to loosen up and approach life with honesty and an easy going attitude. Burger King employee or not, I'd consider that a winning hand in some ways.
Oh hell yes. The family members I know due to them still living in my vicinity are ****ed up people who clearly have a level of Stockholm Syndrome that they'll probably never shake and if I were the same I'd be destroyed in quite possibly a more dysfunctional way than I already am. My mother wasn't a perfect parent but she absolutely tried not to be my grandfather and she's told me this multiple times. I've been bitter enough to throw this in her face before but I still understand that her childhood was toxic to a point that she can't help but be a product of it. We've even had the conversation about children and she's agreed that maybe I shouldn't have children because I've admitted that I could do the same to my children that happened to her. I don't hold that against her. I think she might very well be right, and even if she isn't her experience was intense enough that there's no way she could shake it.

But at the same time her siblings who don't live here are often successful to a point that I can't shake the idea that the only way to overcome our misery and bubble world are to beat us out of it. It's simply not something that logic can convince me of otherwise. They may have left simply to not deal emotionally with my grandfather but I got family members who are at least on the edge of being rich and it's hard not to compare yourself to that **** and wonder why I'm not that way.

It's simply something that destroys your ability to look at it rationally and when your parent has had the same thing to go through then where is the logic? It's just the most confusing and toxic thing to wonder about yourself.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote