Music Banter - View Single Post - The Random Album Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #83 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

The Blackbirds - No Destination

Genre: Krautrock, Psychedelic Pop, Psychedelic Rock
Year: 1968
Place of Origin: Germany
General Pace: Slow to moderate classic '60s sounds

Tracklist:

1) Golden Sun
2) Space
3) No Destination
4) Long Tall Dorothe
5) Sandman's Bound
6) That's My Love
7) Girl I'm Wondering
8) Show Me That You Love Me
9) Something Different
10) She

So here's a window into the past, man. The Blackbirds are four dudes from Germany, making the tunes. They start off with the radio-friendly "Golden Sun," a rather downbeat song about a man yearning for a lost love. Then they immediately switch it up on the next song, "Space," an at-times eerie and trippy guitar instrumental with use of an organ (or keyboards, can't tell) for texture as the band members whistle along, and this pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the album's experiments. Singing-wise, these guys have trouble hitting the high notes and the harmonies could use some tweaking, but they worked with what they had in 1968, so without enhancements as anyone would be aware. Lyrically, on "No Destination," there is the line "I stay in my bed all of the day, because a job is no destination." Square that away with the album cover and that's what's what I think their direction was for the album, but as a whole The Blackbirds don't come across as overly hippy.

No Destination has slow dance numbers ("That's My Love"), but it doesn't walk a tight line as they throw in guitar solos in a number of songs, and "Something Different" is a quirky, happy "lah lah lah" sing-a-long. Why not?

The Blackbirds only put out two albums, the other being Touch of Music.

Songs that were better than the rest: "Golden Sun"; "No Destination"; "That's My Love."

Worst Song: "Long Tall Dorothe." Don't know who took over singing duties on this, but somebody get him out of there. That brah can't hang at all.

There are 10 songs on the original LP, but four bonus tracks were included in the CD reissue in 2005, which include two different covers of The 4 Seasons' "Sherry." In the video they are @35:16 w/a solo male vocal and @41:18 with the full band.

Would I return to this album? No.

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote