Music Banter - View Single Post - Your first prog experience?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #59 (permalink)
Contrarian1
Music Addict

I don't even think I realized I was listening to prog the first time, but I was digging Black Sabbath back in high school, especially the later albums like Sabotage and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. I also fell in love with a band called Mystique and their EPs Black Rider and I am the King around that same time and realized much later that those were probably my first experiences with prog. I used to smoke a lot of weed back then (now not at all) and it was like going on a musical journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiii View Post
Quite an interesting story. My "prog journey" started with a big exposure to Dream Theater. I was on another forum at the time, and I had seen that name being dropped quite a few times. I hadn't heard of the name before so it was unfamiliar territory. A few weeks later, a friend of mine starts to mention him, and I sort of knew what he was talking about because I had heard the name before. Without any question or anything, he lent me a DVD and the "Systematic Chaos" CD to listen to. Needless to say, as soon as I heard the end of "In The Presence of Enemies Part 1", I just couldn't help but listen to the rest. And I am happy I did, that album is full of amazing prog energy, it just led me to dive into more Dream Theater and expand my prog library. And now today, it's one of the main genres I listen to.
I saw Dream Theater in concert as part of the Gigantour in 2005, had never heard of them before but my uncle was a big fan, and now so am I.