Music Banter - View Single Post - Shelf in the Room: Aux-In's Album Review Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

Adema - Unstable

Genre: Nu Metal
Year: 2003
Place of Origin: Bakersfield, CA
General Pace: Slow to heavy-lite

Tracklist:

1. Co-Dependent
2. Rip the Heart Out of Me
3. Stand Up
4. Unstable
5. Promises
6. Blame Me
7. So Fortunate
8. Stressin' Out
9. Do You Hear Me
10. Let Go
11. Betrayed Me
12. Needles

For no particular reason at all, this album has been on my mind as the next one to review. Normally it would be better to start off with a band's debut and go from there, but I remember liking this release much better for all the reasons I'm going to explain.

For their first two albums, Adema was fronted by Mark Chavez, half-brother of Korn's Jonathan Davis. [Chavez would leave the band shortly after this release]. Unstable is mostly about relationship life cycles and the things that happen within them, but as you get further into the album, it separates from some of that as it flows much like that of growing into adulthood. Adema does this in sometimes whiny ways that the genre is known for, but also in ways that are genuine and sincere.

The album starts off with "Co-Dependent," a catchy banger that deals with subject matter obvious to its title.

Hit-wise what we really want here is "Unstable," a typical song about being trapped in what seems like an up and down, on-and-off-again relationship, and secretly liking that dynamic.

Other Songs:

"So Fortunate." I love this song because it's such a positive message about learning to be a father and a man. Maybe it's the music that I normally listen to, which would be my fault, but in terms of popular cultural messages, Chavez gives us something to look forward to since the days when Rambo and Schwarzenegger movies were setting the tone for manhood, and without all the faux bravado and try-hard machismo that exists now. Was always impressed by this song. Oh, and they incorporate violins and all of that if that's of interest.

"Stressin' Out" is probably third-best after "Co-Dependent" and "Unstable."

"Do You Hear Me." Chavez talking to a loved one after they have passed, saying all the things that were never said, but still having a private moment as it's not revealed what he's on about.

Quote:
Watching you get ill, it changed our lives
Your hand went limp and we cried
I didn't realize you had to go
Emotionless overflow
I wish I had the chance to tell you I'm so sorry
"Let Go." A contemplative song about releasing oneself from burdens and being content with the choices you've made.

Even when the band gets a little cringey on "Stand Up," a song where Chavez is speaking to a woman about leaving an abusive, drunk and violent boyfriend, this is Adema relating life to you. That's what I enjoy about this album. It's like heartfelt nu metal or some ****.

As time marches on, this may hold up less and less, but there's plenty of variety here and it's a sufficient go-between other nu metal albums, if you go between them at all.

Best Tracks: "Co-Dependent";"Unstable";"So Fortunate";"Betrayed Me";"Do You Hear Me." Even though there are stronger songs, if I was given only one choice to pick a song off this album and never hear the rest again, I'd choose "So Fortunate."

Most Nu-Metally Song: "Needles." If you just want nu metal and none of that other stuff, this is it.

Would I return to this album?: Yes.

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."

Last edited by Aux-In; 09-13-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote