Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #23646 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Sexy View Post
I was being dismissive for the sake of the post but I'll go back to see if I can't find more than what I got out of it this time. The post was more me being interested and even confused in how I listen to hip hop and music in general and trying to conceptualize in my own my own mind why I should dig Billy Woods but not feel Armand Hammer. I'm not so concerned with lyricism and the nitty gritty of flow but I love the feeling of a track that twists the way my mind is working at the current moment.

Poetry is something that is largely dead to me. When I write a post or a bad fanfic or whatever I'll ask myself if this or that word is necessary or if there's a better choice, or if this syntax seems basic to the point of feeling like it's a simple description of what I want to say or if it's expressing what I want to say emotionally in an interesting way. But as far as if this sentence has a poetic flow I can't really gauge as that's not me. I'm more concerned with how words can materialize a person to engage with out of thin air when the only thing there is words (and sounds in the case of music). It doesn't have to be complex, it just has to be expressive.

This is why I'd rather listen to ICP or Playboi Carti. They don't concern themselves with lyricism, they concern themselves with forcing themselves into your brain through sheer bull-in-a-china-shop expression of themselves and that unnuanced mentality also seems to be concerned with treating hip hop as pop music rather than a meeting place of music and poetry. Just shove it into my brain with extreme prejudice I suppose. Man, I'm not even sure if I'm saying all that right but close enough. It's all **** I've been trying to put together in my mind as to why I like music how I do for years and it doesn't always make sense even to me.
The music is important, I get that. I think hip hop is the only genre where I'm more forgiving of an album's music if it has strong lyricism, and even then it took me a while to get there. That said I think that Woods generally chooses good producers (though Dour Candy was pretty lackluster on that end).

I gravitate towards artists have both strong traits, but lyrics aren't exactly a requirement. Shabazz, dalek, Woods, and Death Grips come to mind for that.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote