Music Banter - View Single Post - Shelf in the Room: Aux-In's Album Review Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

Kid Rock - Grits Sandwiches for Breakfast

Genre: Hip-Hop
Year: 1990
Place of Origin: Romeo, Michigan
General Pace: Low-beat moderate

Before Devil Without a Cause made him a known rockstar and media figure, Kid Rock was an up-and-coming rapper from Romeo, Michigan, who would later become a fixture on the Detroit scene. He is 19 years old when he releases Grits Sandwiches for Breakfast, his debut album. As you might expect, the lyrics are super immature, which I will get to in a moment. On the inside fold is a picture of a fresh-faced Kid Rock giving us the middle finger. Well hello to you, too, sir. In the dedications he wants to thank your mama, let you know that he is the Royal Pimpness and Original Freakmaster, and he'd also like to thank all the gay men, because that's just more "girls 4 him." Oh, and all you backwards country ****s who hate Kid Rock? Yeah, you can blow him. And you ****s who wouldn't let him sample your music? **** you, too.

As far as the production goes, the recording is crisp so you can hear everything. Although the beats are fairly weak, his lyrical spins are pretty good. But getting back to that immaturity for a second: the lyrics revolve around pimping and john talk, being a great MC, and not holding back on sexual innuendos and hardcore descriptions of his sex life. He will fill you in on all the details, rest assured. Really nothing other than that. Musically, this is straight up old school hip-hop. Lots of turntable spinning, a mixture of guitar-work here and there, some tape recordings of peoples' conversations added to the mix, and a whole lot of beat-talkin'. That said, you can hear the genesis of the style he would later perfect with his backing band Twisted Brown Trucker on Devil Without a Cause. This is most notable on the tracks "Genuine Article" and "The Upside."

How did this get into my collection?: I actually found Kid Rock before he blew up on a game called Road Rash 3D for the Playstation, which has "Somebody's Gotta Feel This" on it. This caused me to buy Devil Without a Cause. I asked my then-girlfriend to get Grits Sandwiches for Breakfast for my birthday. So when I put this album on for the first time, it was a whole different world from his rock stuff, and man I thought it was total dog ****. Listening to it now, it's actually kind of fun for what it is. Generally, I have always categorized Kid Rock as an underrated lyricist, in a sense, even though he's not taken seriously. That opinion still holds on Grits, even with the sophomoric content.

Best Song: I guess "Yo-Da-Lin in the Valley."
Worst Song: "New York's Not My Home." Snoozefest.
Funniest Song: "Wax the Booty." Explicit depictions of sex from the Freakmaster himself. He's headed for that coochee, and dat booty.

Would I return to this album?: No, but it's interesting that it exists.

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote