Music Banter - View Single Post - Is an out of tune piano still worth something?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Waddles
Groupie

Default Is an out of tune piano still worth something?

I have two opportunities to acquire a piano.

One, there's a piano in my apartment building, down in the lobby. No one ever plays it, and it's horribly out of tune, but all the keys produce a sound and it's in reasonably good shape otherwise.

Two, there's a different piano available at a local thrift store. It is out of tune as well, but it also plays sound on every key and is in good shape for the price of $60.

I've asked the landlady for the building if I can have the piano in the lobby. If she says no, then I might opt for the thrift store piano. Up to now, I've been "teaching myself" music theory through videos on YouTube (mostly Michael New and Adam Neely, among a few others). I haven't yet started on the technique of, "here's how you press the keys."

Knowing the piano isn't going to sound as it should and I can't afford to get it tuned, would those of you who play piano still recommend getting one of the instruments I described, if only to practice technique?
Waddles is offline   Reply With Quote