Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #55667 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
That’s 34% depreciation in Florida.
Yup. RV's depreciate more than cars once you drive them off the lot. Think of it this way. If Linda and I had never split up we'd have not sold the house - and not each pocketed a ton of profit from the sale. Profit that allowed me to buy the RV with cash I never expected to have in the first place.

As of today we're back together, getting along better than we had in over a decade, and even after all of the expenses from the split, each still have a ton of money in savings. Massive net gain for both of us.

Which goes to the $45K. Sherri and Scott are in escrow on their first home. They put a ton of money down from their savings. They wanted to put another $100K down but the rest of their savings are pure cash and not in an FDIC bank. So we came up with a plan.

Federal law allows you to gift a maximum of $15K a year to family members. So Linda and I each gave Sherri, Scott, and the new grandkid the max for a total of $90K as a gift towards their home purchase. This will save them about $600 a month on their mortgage payments.

We each get paid back in cash which we can't deposit until after they close escrow, and in increments of no more than $10K on any given day. More than that and the banks are obligated to report it to the IRS.

TLDR;

$45K in cash. 450 twenties, 310 hundreds, and 100 fifties. I feel like I'm living a tiny scale episode of Ozark.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”

Last edited by Chula Vista; 09-17-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote