Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #665 (permalink)
Key

1999:

We're already at the last year before we get into the 2000's. Kind of excited to get into the later part of this series. Happy to see how the 90's were for gaming. Lots of great games released etc. 2000 and up is going to be even crazier I think. But hey, let's end this on a high note before we move into 2000's.

Counter-Strike

There's a lot of things I could talk about when it comes to Counter Strike. The type of game that it is, the way it's played. It was a humongous deal back in the day because we didn't really have many good multiplayer FPS games. It was sort of in the same effect as Rainbow Six Siege where people were looking for a more involved FPS game, and Counter Strike definitely fit the bill. Though I prefer CS:GO over any iteration of Counter Strike, the original is still a **** ton of fun to play even today.

Unreal Tournament

Kind of like Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament came out in a time where people were really craving a good FPS game, and Unreal Tournament as well as CS, fit that bill. The big difference with Unreal Tournament is just how chaotic it could get. It felt like an FPS from the future almost. I used to spend a lot of time at friends houses playing both Counter Strike and Unreal Tournament, and it was always a lot of fun. The movement and gun design in Unreal Tournament is dareisay...unreal? See for yourself:

I imagine you can still find a copy of this somewhere and have a blast with some friends. I know I certainly would be all over that.

SoulCalibur

Well I don't know about you, but I love the SoulCalibur series. especially when it got into the later games with SoulCalibur IV and even SoulCalibur V. The series only got better from the start in my opinion. But it had to start somewhere, and why not start somewhere great. SoulCalibur was originally released in 1999, and it brought a lot to the table to regards to fighting games. In my experience, SoulCalibur to me feels like one of the more accessible fighting games out there. And like I said, when it gets to the later games, that becomes much more evident. Granted my memory is fuzzy on this particular game, I know I had a lot of fun playing it. Graphically, obviously the series got better, but I can't deny that the game looked good even back then.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

The soundtrack. The gameplay. The missions. The levels. Man, I ****ing love Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. It seems like 1999 was the year for a **** ton of series firsts. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater to me feels like a skateboarding game done in the best way possible. Granted, I understand that the game is aged and easily not as fun as it once was. With that, I think it's pretty amazing that on the very first level, it requires you to do a full on jump over the halfpipe into a little room floating above it. The amount of tricks you can do in this game is also really impressive, especially if you don't count the special moves. Which again, ****ing awesome. You've got several missions to do on each level, and honestly, the levels vary enough that it feels like an entirely original game with original level design etc. Definitely set the stage for Tony Hawk games to come. I like a lot of the later games, but obviously not all of them.

Pokemon Pinball

Woo! Pokemon Pinball is great! It's a simple idea with an added benefit of throwing Pokemon into it. You can catch other Pokemon like in the other games but in a different fashion. And there's just something special about hitting objects on the board and having them be Pokemon. I mean, Voltorbs as the circular bumpers at the top? Genius. I probably didn't spend as much time with this game as I did with the main story Pokemon games, but when I wanted something Pokemon oriented but a little bit different than the other games, I turned to Pokemon Pinball. It's genuinely a good game and I don't think it needs to be anymore than that.

And that wraps up the 90's. We'll be moving into the 2000's in a day or so. Things might start getting extensive as I feel like some years I can talk about 10 games. Maybe more. So i'll probably change it up a bit. We'll see. Still got plenty of time.