Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #231 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Anyway, lets try observing some music history shall we?...Rock n roll may have begun in america, but in the 60s the british invasian paved the way for a whole sh*tload of sub-genres and styles, and influencing many of the bands associated with heavy metal, punk, alternative and progressive rock.

And since the 60s, more british rock bands have gotten more mainstream attention in america than actual american bands, for example lets go by the biggest artists of each decade.

1950s:

US - Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly Bo Diddley, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Ricky Nelson, Jackie Wilson, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, Roy Orbison, Bill Haley, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Louis Jordan.

UK - Lonnie Donegan, Cliff Richard, Gene Vincent, ?

1960s:

US - Bob Dylan, The Doors, Velvet Underground, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers Band, Santana, Marvin Gaye, James Brown, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Creedence Clearwater Rivival, MC5, Mothers Of Invention, Mamas And The Papas, Aretha Franklin, Simon And Garfunkel.

UK - The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, Cream, The Yardbirds, The Animals, The Zombies, The Moody Blues, Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Small Faces, Donovan.

1970s:

US - Frank Zappa, Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers Band, Santana, The Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bob Dylan, The Stooges, Alice Cooper, Stevie Wonder, Aerosmith, The Ramones, Patti Smith, Talking Heads, Television, New York Dolls, Steely Dan, Tom Waits, Van Halen, Heart, Thin Lizzy, Kiss, Big Star, Lou Reed, Parliament/Funkadelic, Boston, War, Sly & The Family Stone, Gram Parsons, Tom Petty, James Taylor, Creedence Clearwater Rivival, ZZ Top, Marvin ***e.

UK - Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, David Bowie, Black Sabbath, The Rolling Stones, King Crimson, Eric Clapton, Queen, Deep Purple, Yes, Elvis Costello, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Bee Gees, Mott The Hoople, Genesis, The Police, T.Rex, Jethro Tull, Elton John, Gentle Giant, Roxy Music, Brian Eno, The Buzzcocks.

1980s:
US - Sonic Youth, Pixies, Paul Simon, Talking Heads, Blondie, The Cars, Van Halen, REM, Husker Du, Black Flag, X, Guns N Roses, Metallica, Public Enemy, Run DMC, Dinosaur Jr, Tom Waits, The Replacements, ZZ Top, Slayer.

UK - The Police, The Smiths, The Cure, The Pretenders, The Clash, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Jesus And Mary Chain, Stone Roses, Def Leppard, Peter Gabriel, Yes, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, New Order, Motorhead, Echo And The Bunnymen, Dire Straits.

1990s:

US - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Beck, Flaming Lips, Rage Against The Machine, Janes Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pavement, Guns N Roses, Metallica, REM, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Primus, Weezer, Faith No More, Neutral Milk Hotel, Dr Dre.

UK - Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine, Massive Attack, Portishead, PJ Harvey, The Verve, Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Supergrass, Stone Roses, Super Furry Animals, Manic Street Preachers, Primal Scream.

2000s-Present:

US - Flaming Lips, Mars Volta, Wilco, Tool, My Morning Jacket, White Stripes, The Strokes, Incubus, Neutral Milk Hotel, Kings Of Leon, Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes.

UK - Radiohead, Muse, Cooper Temple Clause, The Artic Monkeys, Oasis, Stereophonics, Manic Street Preachers, Supergrass, Blur, Gorillaz, Coldplay.

1950s = US
1960s = UK
1970s = UK
1980s = UK
1990s = US
2000s = Tie

It goes to the UK me thinks....Because the only people who have more influence on modern american music than the british are the black people, and most black people come from Africa, meaning that both Europe and Africa are superior to us in terms of musical quality, deal with with it.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote