Music Banter - View Single Post - Shelf in the Room: Aux-In's Album Review Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

The Union Underground - ...An Education in Rebellion

Genre: Nu Metal
Year: 2000
Place of Origin: San Antonio, Texas
General Pace: Medium heavy

Ah yes, The Union Underground, a vastly understated nu metal act if there ever was one. The reason for that is because they were a one-album wonder, this being their only studio release. So far.

The intro is a hazy, drug-like fade-in and the last track is a meh throwaway, but take those out and you have an entire midsection that is listenable. Not OMG super mega good, but definitely enjoyable. "South Texas Deathride" and "Turn Me on Mr. "Deadman'" were the radio hits, the latter of which would be their biggest number. I don't even think "Deadman" is the best song here; I found myself singing along to the rest of the tracks just the same. I kept waiting for that to dissipate, and it didn't. Having listened to this yesterday, I had "Trip with Jesus" stuck in my head hours later, so it's the sleeper pick on the album. Yeah, I forgot about all of the drug references in their songs.

While maybe not an everyday spinner, ...An Education in Rebellion is an amazingly consistent nu metal output. Something to check in on every so often.

Would I return to this album?: Yes.

---

As of this writing, The Union Underground have reunited with a different batch of band members and are working on a new album. That would make an almost 20-year gap between releases...for a nu metal band.

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote