Music Banter - View Single Post - Shelf in the Room: Aux-In's Album Review Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

Tantric - Tantric

Genre: Post-Grunge, Hard Rock
Year: 2001
Place of Origin: Louisville, Kentucky
General Pace: Moderate

Link to full playlist: Tantric (full album)

Tantric is a band that was originally founded by former members of Days of the New, led most notably by front man Hugo Ferreira's baritone voice and Todd Whitener with his earthy guitarwork and totally, totally tall hair. Essentially what they set out to do was break away from DotN's notoriously self-destructive Travis Meeks. Comparatively, both Tantric and Days of the New are akin to Alice in Chains lite, although it's on their self-titled debut where Tantric would separate from both by defining a more hard-rock sound, instead of being metal or stripped-down, on the ground post-grunge. Also, if you're at all a fan of the dual-vocal harmonies of Chains or DotN (who wouldn't be?), you will enjoy them here as well.

"Breakdown" was their seminal hit and might be the only thing anyone remembers of them. I rocked that song a ton when it was released, but I have to say that it doesn't really sink into my core as much as I'd like it to nowadays. The same can be said for the album as a whole, in that it's aight, but it lacks that extra oomph factor and didn't give me ear erections 20 stories tall. I prefer the earthy, guitar-driven tracks as opposed to the regular 'ol hard rock ones. Sadly, it would be with Whitener's later departure from the band where the acoustic sound would leave Tantric entirely.

Tantric is better for background music while working in the garage or cleaning your place of residence (house, apartment/flat, Winnebago or whatever) as you hop from room to room.

Best Songs: "Breakdown"; "Mourning"; "Astounded"

Would I return to this album?: Rarely.

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote